Monday, April 21, 2014

Another fleece top (yes, fleece in Spring)

I made a fleece jacket the other day (McCall's 5252). I did this for a few reasons. Sometimes, you just have to get some things done when you can. This fabric has been on my sewing table since the Fall. And, I knew it would be quick since I made the same in a vest not too long ago (here). This is basically the same thing with sleeves. I do love the lavender color. Anyway, it's just one of those things that I wanted to get done so I don't have to think about it any more. Besides, the nights have been fairly cool for now, so I might get some use out of it before it gets too hot.



Hot Patterns Outfit

I finished another HP Weekender Breton T. This is actually the only one I've done that's made the way the pattern states (with no alterations). I reviewed this one before here. Obviously, I really like this T shirt and it has really become one of my favorites. So I paired this with the HP Tailored Track Pants (HP 1158). I used a flowy fabric and just made a regular hem in the pants. The fabric was actually so flowy that the cuff really didn't look right.

Although I made a muslin, the fit just wasn't quite what I wanted once I actually put them together. I should have made the center back seam just a little longer. I was unsure about the style, but I decided to try it anyway. If I do make these again, I'll actually use a fabric with a bit more body to it (like a lightweight linen). Then I'd be able to make the cuff.


 
 
 
I'm just not sure about this one. I love the fabric I used though. It's light and breezy. The top is a very nice knit (I think it's a jersey blend fabric). Anyway, that's all for now.
 
 



Monday, April 14, 2014

Completed a Spring dress

This is Simplicity 1586, although when I bought it, it was numbered 0502. It's one of the Amazing Fit dresses that can be color blocked or solid color with sleeve and neck variations. I made this in View A, which is the short-sleeve dress.




I was able to use some fabric I had left over from a Spring coat I made last year for Easter. The dress is unlined and goes together very easily. The only change I made was I shortened the length which led me to eliminate the vent in the back (it really wasn't necessary for walking ease).



 
 
 
Other than that, there really isn't too much to say about this process. It's very straightforward. It's just a good, simple pattern to have!

Thursday, March 20, 2014

Spring has sprung...or so they say

I finished the Colette Patterns Clover pants #1019 that I've been working on. It took 3 muslins of different sizes to get it right. But, once I found the right size, I didn't have to make any fit alterations. I made Version 1, which is the longer pant. The only "change' I made is that I did not include the pockets.


I wanted a floral print pant, so I found this fabric at G Street Fabrics. It's a stretch cotton.


But, since I wasn't sure how to wear something like this, I tried it on with some different style tops and shoes. I personally like the one above for very casual wear. Here are the other pictures.





The peplum and heels dresses it up a bit. Anyway, I think the pattern is great. I would make this again in a solid (and maybe a different type of floral). This is actually an easy pattern to put together and doesn't take long to make, by the way.

Tuesday, March 4, 2014

McCall's 3341 skirt

I've been wanting to make myself another skirt, but just haven't gotten around to it. I just wanted something simple and basic. I've made this pattern before and I really like it. It's a great A-line skirt pattern with length variations (here's the pattern). I've made View D before, so that was already traced. I wanted something a little longer this time. So, rather than trace the pattern again, I just added 3" to the length. By the time I was done, I had cut off some of that, so I probably should have just added 1 1/2"-2", but everything worked out in the end. 


I used black corduroy that I've had in my fabric stash for probably 2 years now. Since I've joined the RTW fast, I'm also more conscious of how much fabric I have and trying to find a good use for it.


I feels good to get rid of one more piece of material and have it be something I like and can use.


Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Completed a T-shirt...more to come



I completed this Hot Patterns Mr. & Mrs. H.P. Weekender Breton T. Wow, that's quite a name, but it took me almost as long to type that as it did to make (sort of). It's a very easy, quick pattern to make. If you love a good T shirt, this may be the pattern for you. I love it. The fit is great without being too tight or too lose. For women, it does have a 3/4 sleeve but I lengthened mine by 4" to make it long-sleeve. The men's version is long sleeve. The material is just a cotton interlock knit. The body is actually a reversible fabric. I was going to make this reversible, but I couldn't quite get the serger flat lock stitch the way I wanted. So, instead of stressing myself out, I just made it with the stripes outside and the dots inside.

 
 
The fabric is really soft and warm which is great considering the weather we've had. The sleeves are just a solid cotton interlock.
 
 

 


 
 
I didn't add any length to the bottom of the shirt, so this is the original length. But it's a great pattern - easy and practical to have in the wardrobe. I already have another in a dark green solid cut out to make today or tomorrow. 


Friday, January 24, 2014

A little something else...

I saw this tutorial a while back, but didn't get around to sewing it until the other day (snow day sewing). Anyway, there is this great tutorial for making these little pencil pouches. They could also be used for makeup brushes or whatever you like. You could also make different sizes depending on what you want. And they could be great gifts. Anyway, here is the link to the pencil pouch.

Here is the one I made.




Happy sewing everyone!