Saturday, October 23, 2010

Burda success



I completed another garment this morning. It's BurdaStyle 09-2010-#121 turtleneck. It helps that there's only three pieces to the pattern, so it's hard to screw up. I made this from some black cotton interlock I bought at G Street Fabrics. It is so soft and washes well. I'll review the patterns I've completed recently over on patternreview.com when I get a chance. But this turtleneck is great. I want more fabric so I can make more of these. It only took a couple of hours (including tracing the pattern).

Friday, October 22, 2010

Also completed...




I made this from start to finish in a couple of hours today. The biggest problem I had was trying to figure out how it's supposed to drape on the body after I completed it. But anyway, this is made from a cotton interlock knit fabric I bought at JoAnn's Fabric. It's McCall's 5241 and I made View A (the shortest one)in medium. Easy and comfortable. I actually saw this in Claire Shaeffer's Fabric Sewing Guide. Looks better on the model than on me, but I do the best I can - LOL!

Completed red satin jacket




I finished the red satin sleeveless jacket I had been working on. I used Butterick 3346. This is an old pattern which I'm sure is out-of-print by now. I've had it for a very long time and never used it. The scalloped edges at the bottom of the jacket is unique. Like I said, I had this red satin that I didn't want to go to waste, so I needed to do something with it.

Thursday, October 21, 2010

Almost finished





A couple of week ago I did a fabric inventory so I could see what I had. I also wanted to figure out what certain fabrics would be good for given the patterns I already have and those I might be interested in buying. So, that's what I did. One of the pieces of fabric I found was a red satin that must have been about 2 yards long. Unfortunately, I had cut on the fold previously, so I considered it a remnant. But I liked it too much to get rid of it so I had to figure out what I could make. Well, I decided to make a sleeveless jacket (not quite a vest). The reason it's sleeveless is simply there wasn't enough for sleeves. So that's what I've been working on for the past week or so. And now it's almost done. I used an old pattern I had that I've never used because I didn't want to trace it and I figured after all this time, if I hadn't used it yet, I probably never would. So I used Butterick 3346 for the body. I had to put a seam down the back since I had to piece the fabric together in order to cut it out. I'm also showing you the buttons I plan to use. That has been the hardest decision to make - what type of closure to use. So, I found these at G Street Fabrics this morning. They'll be three buttons down the front.

Thursday, October 7, 2010

Finished the blazer




I finally finished the blazer I made from Kwik Sew 3715. It turned out well, but I should have made the medium instead of the small. The small fits better in the body, but I prefer a larger (wider) sleeve. I won't be able to wear anything too bulky underneath, but it will still be good for fall. I used a poly suiting material I bought from JoAnn Fabrics. The fabric was a challenge for me to work with since I had to thread-mark darts, etc. But, it is washable and should wear well. I had made the view with the welt pockets before, so this one has the patch pockets. I might like to make this again, but in a different fabric. But, I've got some dresses and skirts I need to work on now.

Friday, October 1, 2010

Progress


Slowly but surely I'm making progress on the blazer. It poured down rain yesterday, so I stayed in and sewed. I still have to sew the lining and decide which buttons I want to use. But, all those pattern pieces are coming together quite well. This is Kwik Sew 3715. I made view A before with the welt pockets. This is view B, with patch pockets.