Tuesday, July 26, 2011
I also made a case for my iPhone this week. I wank to be able to walk for exercise and have my phone with me, but I don't always have pockets. So I made this case that I can use. This strap goes around my neck, but I think I may remove that one and lengthen it to make a cross-body strap. The reason being that the phone is not what I would consider light-weight. The cross-body strap would allow me to keep all that weight from my neck. The case is made from navy faux leather (can I say "pleather") that is really soft and was very easy to work with. I put a pocket in the front to carry a key or whatever and used Velcro to close it. It turned out the way I wanted it which, for me, makes it a success.
Monday, July 25, 2011
Over the past week or two, I have completed a few things. The robe is something I copied from a summer robe I've had for about 10 years. The fabric is really starting to wear pretty thin, so I decided I'd copy it while I could. I'm really happy with the way it turned out. I made one up in muslin first which served as my pattern. I never thought I could actually do this until I copied an apron for a friend and made that for her. That served as a real confidence boost for me. I bought the material for this at G Street Fabrics.
Then I completed the skirt I had cut out (before I had even started the robe). This is the other "Sew Serendipity" skirt that I wanted to make. The yellow binding is at the top of the pocket.
Then the T-shirt. It's Vogue 8536. I think I have found the perfect T-shirt pattern! I'm always looking for T's that aren't too clingy or too low or too whatever... This is one I'm really happy with. And it's easy to make. I already have another one cut out that I'll get to work on as soon as I get the right color thread!
Tuesday, July 12, 2011
A few weeks ago, I went on a sewing book buying binge. Well, one of the books I got was "Sew Serendipity" by Kay Whitt. As soon as I looked through the book, I knew which project I wanted to try first. It's called the Multi-Fabric Skirt and that's what I made this past weekend. I like that it's colorful and easy to make - a great project for summer sewing. But, I don't think it should be limited to that. I could see this in suede or corduroy (or denim) for the fall. But I was glad to be able to use some of the fabric stash I have at home for the skirt I made. The patterns are included with the book. I made this in a small. I used the same fabric for the pocket trim that I used for the facings. I have also cut out the same skirt but from one fabric. This is a fun book to flip through, even if you don't end up making anything. But it certainly can serve as inspiration and give lots of ideas for new projects!
Thursday, July 7, 2011
About a week ago, I was out running errands when I noticed just about every other woman I saw was wearing a maxi dress. It was about 95 degrees at the time. That's when I remembered I had this pattern. Now, the main thing I wasn't sure about with this pattern was the empire waist. Generally I don't care for them on me, but I thought I'd go ahead and give it a try. I made this in a 16, although I cut out some of the fullness, so I probably could have made this in the 14. I used a lightweight cotton fabric I bought last year from G Street Fabrics. This is a "Make it crafty" pattern. I didn't. I just wanted something simple so I didn't add any kind of embellishments to it.
In all honesty, I'm not sure how I feel about the result. It's very comfortable and flow-y. But I'm still not a fan of the empire waist on me. I like the neck line (both front and back). I think I'd probably like it more if I had either left the elastic out and just belted it at the waist, or if I had inserted the elastic at the waist. That, of course, would be a different look. But anyway, there's certainly nothing wrong with the pattern and it's very easy to make.