Tuesday, May 15, 2012

New Look 6095

I love simple, easy summer dresses and this is definitely one of those. I made this in View D except I omitted the ribbon that goes around the bottom band. I made this from some cotton blend fabric that I had in my stash. This took about 3 hours to actually put together, so it was quite easy and straightforward. The only alterations I made was to taper the hip down to the pattern size 14 and to lengthen the dress by 1 1/2 inches. This is something that I can definitely see making again for the summer. It has a classic shape and styling and can be made in a variety of materials.

Friday, May 4, 2012

Maxi skirt

If you haven't noticed, I'm one of those people who buys patterns but doesn't always get around to making them. I do keep almost all of them because I never know when I might want to make something. Anyway, this is a pattern that came out around 1997 (that's the date on the pattern envelope). So, obviously, it's out of print now. But, I was looking for a maxi skirt pattern where I could use some fabric I've had for a few years and this is what I found in my pattern drawer. It's Butterick 4827. I really like how this turned out. The skirt has elastic in the back, so it's easy to wear. I made this in a medium, although I enlarged the waist at the side seams by about 1". The fabric is a floral shirting cotton that I bought at JoAnn's. Since the skirt is long, I figured it could take the big print. I'm still looking for a striped knit to try a different maxi skirt pattern I have.  Anyway, that's all for now. On to the next project (a dress).





Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Simple summer dress

The last time I posted, I mentioned that I had bought some new fabric. I failed to mention that I also bought myself a couple of new patterns. One of the is this one that I mad the other day. It's New Look 6022.


I made mine from a yellow and white striped seersucker that I've had for about 3 years. I did make a few changes to the pattern. I raised the neckline about 1". and I added about 2" to the hem. I also generally made the size 16, although I tapered down to the 14 in the hip area. But there are some details that make the dress nice. For example, the elastic in the back keeps it from being too full (and looking more like maternity-wear). The little detail of the elastic in the sleeve is also nice.

But I like easy, simple summer clothes, especially here where it can be terribly humid in the summer. And this only took a few hours to make!




So, I'm still determined to make it through much of this fabric stash I have. Improving my sewing and sewing from my stash are two ongoing projects for this year.